Saturday, June 9

Royal Cornwall Show

Its that time of year again,time to get sunburnt whilst enjoying everything Kernow related at the Royal Cornwall Show in Wadebridge. True to form I now have lovely red shoulders due to wearing a wife-beater at this years show.
My sis Amy took us up and despite an early start, we were stuck in traffic for an hour. Once I had refuelled myself with a bacon bap upon entering the showground we set off for the dog shows.
We got chatting to a couple whilst watching the Retrievers being judged who had moved to Cornwall recently. Strangely enough, they had been puppy walkers for Guide Dogs where they used to live and had walked some 15 dogs. They were now involved in fundraising locally instead. It was pretty much the hottest day so far this year, so Brett was thankful for the flask I brought with icecubes and water in.

We sought out the Guide Dog stand so Brett could catch up and have a chat to his fellow workmates. I knew a couple of the volunteers and their dogs their through previous telephone calls and emails. Tony was there with his dog Gunner and Jack was with Edgar. There were others I didn't know so well like Dorothy and her dog Holly, but the dogs all seemed to know that they were fellow Guide Dogs and had a good old sniff.
Along our travels we met up with our friend Kelly and her mum outside, surprise surprise, the Skinners ale tent. I had to refrain from drinking as I was dehydrated enough already. We didn't stop long as we decided to make a move home due to the heat. Whilst trying to find the exit we happened to wander past the exhibitions of steam engines. This was the only time that Brett made me clip other people whilst walking. This was partly due to the heat getting to him, but mostly the fact that he seemed to recognise the smells and noises of the machinery. His puppy walkers had told me that they used to take him to similar events, and he has been on traction engines as a puppy.
After finally finding the exit and reinforcing the stereotype that females cant follow a map, we headed to the car. My sisters attempts to exit the showground didn't fill me with confidence . Her quip of "I hope Brett knows where the car is cause I don't" didn't help much either. Luckily half way through the massive field filled with thousands of cars, Brett made a break off to one side. He picked up pace and I followed leaving Amy behind. After he took another turning in the somewhat baffling maze of cars, Amy said that she could now see the car. Brett the amazing dog he is went straight to it without any sort of indication from me or Amy. All this from over half a large field away!
All in all, I think Brett enjoyed his birthday day out and slept the rest of the day.

Track of the day = Girls Aloud - The Show

No comments: